A little boy's room with nautical theme -- what could be cuter?! Well YOUR little boy's room could be with this whale motif canvas!
I didn't want to title this post "mixed media canvas" - I think that can sometimes sound a little intimidating and this mini canvas couldn't be easier! Let's see how....
Clear Dew Drops (different sizes)
Smoky Chevron Cardstock (use polka dot side)
DecoArt Paint - Robins Egg Blue
DecoArt Paint - Chalky White
Oversized RicRac Trim
Black Sharpie Pen
Special Tools: Sponges, sponge stencil dauber
PAINTING YOUR CANVAS:
- Prepare your area with a bowl of water and a paper plate or pallet paper to pour your paint on.
- Using a damp sponge, "DAB" the Robin Egg Blue paint over entire canvas - and don't forget those edges! Allow some of the white of the canvas to show through - - using the sponge will give your canvas added dimension - with some areas of the paint darker than others and the white canvas showing through in spots.
- Allow to dry (or pull out your heat gun and help it along!)
- Using a sponge dauber, dab the white paint creating "clouds" over the top 2/3rds of your canvas
After your canvas is dry ...
- I downloaded a whale coloring page and printed it. You might be artistic and able to freehand draw a whale on a piece of white paper. Either way, loosely cut around your whale drawing and adhere it to the BACK SIDE of the patterned paper you want to use.
- I am using the polka-dotted side of Smokey Chevron. You will see this paper in a lot of my projects - - I think the silvery color and patterns are an amazing "go to" - - a snazzy new neutral!
- Once your whale is cut out, carefully outline the shape with a black Sharpie pen.
- Adhere your whale shape to the bottom 1/3 of your canvas (depending on the width of the trim you are using for the "sea")
- Adhere a black Dew Drop to your whale cut out for an eye
- Freehand cut a few "water drops" from the glittercardstock for your whale spout - - adhere to canvas
- Attach ric rac trim just below your whale (note: I am using a lime green oversized ric rac from the fabric store, but you can really use any kind of trim here!)
- Using a CLEAR DRYING GLUE, attach different sized CLEAR DewDrops around your canvas
And that's it! Custom art from the Robin's Nest!
Have a crafty weekend!