Friday, April 22, 2016

Sewing with CanvasStock!

I don't mind telling you, I have a mad crush.....on CanvasStock!

This is such a versatile product - terrific in scrapbooking, card making and mixed media.  And as I was handling it, I thought - "hmmmm.. I wonder if I can sew with this?"

And the answer is a resounding YES!!



While I have been sewing all my life, this project can be made by any level of sewer, or even someone who does not sew!

Let's get this sewing bee started!

You will need:

(1) 12 x 12 Sheet of CanvasStock (I am using "Trees")
60" Length of Ribbon or Twine

And then....

-Cut 2 pieces of CanvasStock to 5" wide by 9 1/2" long (finished sized will be approx. 4" by 8")
-Fold down 1" of top edge towards unprinted side of CanvasStock on each piece
-Sew straight across folded edge, leaving a "tunnel" on each piece

*designer's tip:  No sewing machine?  Try some fabric glue from the craft store!  


-Place printed sides of CanvasStock together, beginning at your stitching for the "tunnel", sew along all 3 sides of your piece leaving a 1/2" seam allowance and ending at the stitching for your "tunnel" on the opposite side

-Carefully turn your piece inside out, working the corners and sides to get a nice shape

-Fold your 60" ribbon in half, using a safety pin, thread your ribbon through the tunnels

*designer's tip:  I used a wooden skewer to help push the safety pin / twine through the tunnel - much faster results!

-Tie knots in both ends of your ribbon - pull to tighten and close your bag.

I specifically made this bag to hold my over-sized sunglasses, cellphone, car key and credit cards when I go to the farmers market - - I can toss my ditty bag into my market basket and know everything is together and protected!  


Lots of ways to personalize this bag - - add beads or charms to your strings, stamp or paint a monogram on the bag itself - the possibilities are truly endless with this awesome product!

Thanks for stopping by today!!





9 comments:

LisaM said...

How clever and what a cute little bag!

Carole Wright said...

Fabulous! x

Colleen said...

Wonderful idea.

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Cute!! And very fashionable! Great job!

Monia Fiocchi said...

amazing project!!! I love it!!!!!

Giorgia Rossini said...

wonderful idea!

Karen said...

Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

Terri Koszler said...

What a cool idea

Bev Code said...

fab and creative project

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...