Friday, January 8, 2016

"Beyond the Sea" - Altered Altoid Tin

I have been an avid reader all my life, characters like Alice and Emma became my allies and confidantes (in my very active imagination!) I could always count on them.  Whenever I can combine my love of books and crafting, I am one happy girl. 


When I saw the ocean / beach inspired products from The Robin's Nest, I knew "The Little Mermaid" would be coming to life in a tiny diorama created within an altered Altoid tin!


Here's how to create your own diorama:

GATHER:


Altoid Tin
Dimensional Adhesives
Ink
Optional:  tiny pebbles, twine, charms, small figurines and any other items that remind you of the sea.....

CREATE:

·       Spray paint outside of your Altoid tin (this is optional) sand to let some of the metal show through
·       Cut (4) 3.5 x 2.25 pieces of patterned paper, round corners, ink edges
·       Choose images (I used vintage images printed on to white textured cardstock, cut to desired size (mine are approx 2.5 x 1.75) round corners, ink edges
·       Adhere patterned paper to top, inside top, inside bottom and back of tin



Now for the real fun.....let's start layering!

  • Glue ribbon to bottom rim of tin
  • Glue "fish net" on top of patterned paper on top of tin and inside bottom
  • Embellish your images - I used Stickles, pearls and small starfish, glitter arrow
  • On inside lid and inside bottom glue small stones
  • Layer every shape size and color of dew drops, mini dew drops, tear drops and diamond dew drops in any colors you have to mimic sea glass on top and around the stones
  • To create "sea grass", I snipped a piece of rough twine, unraveled it and then rubbed it with green ink (tie a knot on one end of twine first)
  • Using pop dots, attach mermaid image to inside bottom of tin and another image to outside top of tin
  • Add any other charms, shells or sea inspired tid bits you find around your craft space



I hope you are inspired to create your own little mini dioramas!  Thanks for stopping by Chattering Robins today!  To see more projects using The Robin's Nest, please feel welcome to pop over to my blog:  Reel Girl's Animal House 

10 comments:

Giorgia Rossini said...

fabulous project, I love tin metals, would love to make one!

Colleen said...

Great job, love it.

LisaM said...

Love, love, love this!

Terri Koszler said...

Fab blog post, I love altered tins x

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Cute!! It matches so wonderfully! Great colors!

Terri Sproul said...

super cute project

Tonya said...

Two of my favorite things...altering and ocean/beach goodness! Awesome job!

Marina Gridasova said...

such amazing creation! love it!

Astrid de Beer-Logtenberg said...

Amazing project, so unique !

Bev Code said...

super creative idea.. awesome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...