Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Art Abandonment Holiday Gift Tags


 The Holidays are here which means time for travel and time for gift giving. Two of my favorite things! So any time I know I'm going out of town, I try to make Art to abandon. Just like these Holiday gift tags!
 Above is my typical travel Art supplies. I take them with me if I expect to travel a weekend or more. I know it seems like a lot but my style is 'mixed' so I never know what I feel like creating until I'm in the moment.

  • Reading book, composition book- for daily notes,
  • Clipboard-for painting on.
  • Sketch pad,white cardstock
  • My Flip Pal- a portable scanner to scan family photos or cool hotel wallpaper. (Yes I have done this).
  • Watercolors and shimmer mediums.
  • Assorted pens, pencils, scissors Dew Drops.
  • Paint palette, tapes, watercolor brushes, misters, fine salt for painting effects (In-N-Out).
  • Chargers, earbuds, headlamp (for crafting after lights out). Glues, sewing kit, Art Abandonment bags and tags. Mold putty for making casts of really cool things you find at family homes. 
  • Jewelry making supplies.
 I created these tags at the start of our Thanksgiving Holiday.
We spent a few days in Monterey CA, then on further north to visit Family.
 For these tags, you will need the following:
  1.  Assorted Dew, Diamond and Tear Drops.
  2. Die Cut trees with twine.
  3. Pearl paints, water and paintbrush.
  4. Brown grocery bag cut open and laid flat.
  5. Glue
  6. Treat bags and Art Tags

I had some die cut trees left over from a previous project, so I punched the holes and added the twine.
Using a watercolor brush and my favorite pearl paints (inka gold), I painted away!
 I used the brown bag to allow my trees to dry in between painting. When everything was dry to touch I gathered the trees by color and added the ornaments aka Dew drops.
So so pretty! 

 Then I  wrapped them up, one of each color in a treat bag and added a tag. I also included a personal note inside each bag.

 By now you are probably wondering what Art Abandonment is. Well its a global movement of Artists and crafters abandoning Art for the sole purpose to make others happy.  The goal is to make something, abandon it (secretly), take a photo of it (secretly), post it on the FB group and hope someone finds it. If a finder sends a email, it's posted to the group and the stories remind you why you do Art to begin with. You can read more about Art Abandonment here. 

We traveled from Southern CA to Monterey. The first night, I made the tags. We spent all of the next day at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. A wonderful place! But it was packed and hard to leave a bag discreetly. I managed to leave one on a bench outside exhibit, too dark to take a photo.
Later we wandered Cannery Row.  I placed one bag inside the basket of someones bike, the perfect spot!
Another on a outside ledge to a popular restaurant.  

 

 This one I placed in front of a sign. Even though it seemed dark, there were plenty of people coming and going. At the end of the night I placed one on a bench inside the take out section of a restaurant.

 The next day we walked and had lunch at Fisherman's Wharf.
 I placed a bag inside a planter and at our table after enjoying fresh clam chowder. 

 We stopped off in a market in Garberville, CA where I placed one with the soda pop.Then we ventured on to visit Family for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

 When our visit was over, we headed home but stopped at a favorite roadside place along highway 101. There I placed a bag at the feet of the highway greeter.

 Everything there is carved from wood with a chainsaw! Quite amazing. I placed a bag inside the wooden play house, on a wooden pot next to wooden turkey. I wish we could have stayed to see a child find it, but we needed to keep driving.


My last place to abandon for the trip was at Hamburger Ranch in Cloverdale, CA.

I'm hoping the Holiday gift tags brightened someones day. :)
Thanks for coming by, hoped you liked my post!
Michelle Frae Cummings
(Guest Designer)

14 comments:

Colleen said...

What an awesome idea, love it.

Bev Code said...

OMG what a fabulous fun idea.. thanks for sharing

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

These are fabulous! And I hope that someone finds love in all of them :)
Cute trees too!! Love the Dew Drops!

Tonya said...

Thoughtful and wonderful idea! Love!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Thank you Colleen!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Thanks Bev!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Thanks, they really were a labor of love.

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Thanks Tonya!

Betsy Skagen said...

Beautiful work Michelle! I also love how I am not the only one who brings crafting supplies with on a trip.

Carol Hoffmann said...

What a great idea!

memorial garden benches said...

Great holiday gift tags! What a fabulous fun idea. Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen White said...

Love the tree tags and what an awesome idea!!!

Cindy Brown said...

love love love

Caroleanne Wright said...

wow what an amazing idea, love love love it. xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...