Sunday, August 30, 2015

The great Oz has spoken and a steampunk shadowbox evolved--Part Two



You all will be relieve to know that I, Betsy Skagen, have not blown away* and so I am back for Part Two of of Behind the Curtain--a Steampunk Homage to Oz. If you missed yesterday's post--aka Part One--you can find it here.

Tutorial to make the Behind the Curtain--a Steampunk Homage to Oz (Continued)


Step 10 Paint the base of the Azure Fly Chipboard balloon with Honey Amber Twinkling H20s.

Step 11 Paint the Steampunk set, first with Autumn Leaf Acrylic Glaze, then (when dry) with assorted copper and gold tones of Twinkling H20s. Highlight some of the pieces with Guatemalan Green. Paint the edges of the Azure Bike Die Cut and the clock hands with Guatemalan Green. Let dry.

In progress...adding layer upon layer of color to the laser cuts.

Step 12 Measure the front of the box and cut out another piece of teal paper to fit it. Trace the box hole onto the teal paper cut. Place a stencil over this teal piece and apply Guatemalan Green. When dry, adhere to the outside of the box.

Sometimes I work sideways just for the heck of it...

Step 13 Close and glue one end of the shadow box. Measure inside of box. Cut herringbone paper to size. Insert herringbone and adhere to inside of box. Close and glue other end of shadow box.

Step 14 Measure the sides of the Shadowbox and cut Cowboy Cardstock to fit. Adhere to the outside of the box.

Step 15 Attach gears using Beacon Fabri-Tac. Adhere Archival Seeds. Remember that you can reference that handy digital photo you took back at the beginning of the project.

Step 16 Adhere the bottom of the hot air balloon to the glitter top. 

Step 17 Make three small paper tabs and adhere two behind the bicycle and one behind the hot air balloon. Attach the bicycle and balloon at varying distances between the front and back of the shadowbox. 



Step 17 Adhere gears to three corners of the outside of the box. Glue Water Dew DropsPoinsettia Dew Drops and Metallic Teal Dew Drops to the centers of the gears. 

If I have my way, I will never watch the Wizard of Oz again, but I sure had a lot of fun making this shadowbox. It was definitely more fun than a room full of flying monkeys. 

* I feel a little traumatized

Oh, by the way, if you are still wondering. I did survive my infancy when my family forgot me during a tornado. When tornado sirens sounded, my family retreated to the safety of the basement. Only then did they ask one another, "Do you have Betsy?"

It turns out no one had Betsy. There I was, a small infant lying helplessly in my crib as a tornado destroyed homes and lives. Thankfully, my family remembered me moments after they reached the basement and went back upstairs to retrieve me from the crib.

Ok, I admit it. While writing this post, I thought I was hamming the severity of the storm up for the sake of entertainment. That is until I decided to do a little research about that particular tornado.

It turns out there was a "swarm" of SIX tornadoes, four of which were F4s (including the one that almost destroyed Baby Betsy) that fateful day.

Did I mention I feel a little traumatized?

Here is a picture of the actual F4 tornado when is was about a half mile from where sweet, innocent and helpless me lay abandoned in my crib.




I hereby decree that my dislike for the Wizard of Oz is entirely legitimate.




Fabulous stuff I used

Teal Glitter Cardstock
Black Herringbone Cardstock
Cowboy Cardstock
Water Dew Drops
Poinsettia Dew Drops
Metallic Teal Dew Drops
Tender Teal Archival Seeds
Azure Bike Die Cut
Azure Fly Chipboard
Gina's Designs Deco Lattice Panel 1
Steampunk Shape Set
Groove tool
Beacon Fabri-Tac
Black gesso
Stencils
Shadowbox
Autumn Leaf Silks Acrylic Glaze
Assorted Twinkling H20s
Black pen

6 comments:

Kathleen White said...

You poor baby,left alone and defenseless from the raging tornadoes! One a lighter note look at this wonderful creation that came out of it! It's beautiful.

Tonya said...

So glad your family came back for you or we wouldn't get to enjoy all of your wonderful projects. Great job! :-)

Cindy Brown said...

WOW WOW WOW Love This TFS

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Beautiful project and story!! It's a never-forget-story :)

Peggie Sue @ Maxx and Boo said...

Such a wonderful story and amazing project!!

frezja said...

adorable :) love it !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...