Sunday, August 16, 2015

Be brave

Hi!
Jess here today with a great project to use up some of the little bits of Robin's Nest paper you can't part with.


I found a butterfly outline I liked online and printed it on plain white paper.

 I cut out the butterfly and then snipped it in half so I just had a single wing.   I took all my little bits and pieces of various Robin's Nest papers and started to layer them on the wing.

There is no pattern I just glued them down where I liked them.   If you look you can spot Rosy ChevronRosy Stripe Girl Crown GlitteredWedding Cutouts, Bunny Stripe, Girl Swirled Glitter,  and Discovery Girl Glittered Cardstock.  Once all the papers were glued on I trimmed them all up so the wing shape was apparent.

I used some brown and gray inks on the papers to get rid of to get rid of the white edges.

And here's the part where I goofed up and thought I would have to start all over again.  I wanted to use my texture paste and then stencil a design on top of the wing.  Instead I was a dope and grabbed my gesso.  The gesso ran under my stencil and made a big blobby mess.  I grabbed my baby wipes and tried to see if I could salvage the project.  The gesso would not wipe off completley, but I just worked with it.

I added more brown and gray inks using my Groove tool from Art-C.
The next step was to flick on black and silver acrylic paint.  I put my wing aside to let it dry.


While the wing dried I worked on the background. I took a piece of paper right out of my art journal and glued a piece of tissue paper onto it. I added lots of stenciling in various shades of brown and pink.  Once the ink was dry I loaded my paint brush full of pink acrylic paint and ran it along the edge of the page.  I just let the paint run and drip naturally.  Since this is acrylic paint I set the page aside to dry.

I stamped some words on to white and tan cardstock to put next to the wing.  I glued the wing onto the page, but let the edges pop up a bit.  To complete the page I glued down my words and used my black pen to add details on the page.

This page will get tipped back into my journal, but it could also be framed if you so desired.
This was a super fun and simple project to make.  It's a perfect way to use up some scraps.

Don't forget to stop by my blog to see the other projects I have been working on.
Jess

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Very fun way to use those scraps.

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Great project! I love the scraps with the butterfly! Cute!

Tonya said...

I'm a horder of scraps of card stock and I love how you used all the bits and to create a beautiful page! Great job!

Kathleen White said...

Such a cool journal project! Love how you create the wing. Gorgeous.

Cindy Brown said...

Wow Amazing Idea TFS

Peggie Sue @ Maxx and Boo said...

Absolutely amazing! I am so in love with this page!

Bev Code said...

amazing butterfly technique.. cool idea

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...