Saturday, July 4, 2015

Fun can be a breeze

Hello Robin's Nest friends.  It's Jess here today. To our readers in the USA I hope you all had a wonderful and safe holiday yesterday. We spent the day at my Mum's house and I brought a couple little guys over to brighten up the decor.

These pinwheels don't spin, but you can adjust the way they are made so they do!
 I made three pinwheels and took pictures of me assembling the one I made with the Rosy Stripe Cardstock.  Since the paper is patterned on both sides and has a very different pattern it is easy to show you how to assemble the wheel.  
I started by finding a template online and tracing it onto my paper. 

You can find tons of templates for five and four armed wheels.  I went with the five since I wanted them to be pretty big.  
 Once the wheel is cut out you poke a pin sized hole in the upper point of each arm about a 1/4 in from the edge.  A hole gets poked in the middle too.  Since I knew I wanted my wheels to be decorative (and not spin) I used thin wire to hold the pieces together.  Begin by poking the wire through an arm.  Then grab the next closest arm and add it under the first arm.  Keep layering each arm under the one you just threaded onto the wire.  Once all the arms are on the wire poke the wire through the hole in the middle. Boom! Pinwheel done.
If you want to add a bit of flair you can add in layers.  Before I poked the wire through the back I added on one of the Rusty Rose Flowers.  

Next I added on my paper straw handle.  I poked a hole through both sides of the straw and threaded the wire through.  I wound it around the straw a few times to keep the wheel from sagging.
  

I completed this wheel by adding more of the Rusty Rose Flowers.  These ones were colored using pink and green inks then glued to the center of the wheel.  A bit of Saffron Straw and 
Rosy Ribbon complete this guy.
Here is a better picture of the center of the wheel.


You can really see the flower behind and the center here.  It's such a girly pinwheel.  Since it doesn't spin I can also double as a magic wand( or so my five year old tells me).  If you want your wheels to spin you can use a pin to connect the pieces together and use a pencil for the handle.  Jam the pin into the eraser and it will spin.  The pin won't hold the paper as tightly as the wire does so it will have the movement you need.  

This wheel is made with the Star Border Glitter Cardstock.  The stars look awesome in the center.  A Metallic Red Dew Drop finishes this one off.  


This wheel was made with Red Glitter Star Specialty Paper.  This paper is not double sided.  I wanted to show you that you can make a pinwheel and not feel you must use double sided paper.  The center is made from the Star Border Glitter Cardstock and completed with a Metallic Silver Dew Drop.  To add extra punch I wrapped Rusty Rose Straw and Saffron Straw around the very top of the paper straw.  The straw from the Robin's Nest is made with a filament and curls up.  This added a lovely pop of flare.  It looks like a firework to me!


I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial.  I would love to see the pinwheels you make.  
Happy crafting!
Jess  











9 comments:

Daliuska Takken said...

Great and super cute idea!!!

Stephanie Govea said...

Love it! I might have my daughter and I try it together !

Colleen said...

These are always so much fun to make and your gave very clear directions. They turned out so pretty,

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Great tutorial!! I love the centers too, so pretty! Great job Jess!

Cindy Brown said...

love love love the idea wow I want this. TfS

Tonya said...

Great tutorial and uber cute! Great job!

Peggie Sue @ Maxx and Boo said...

Such fun - we made some too, thanks for the inspiration!

Kathleen White said...

I love pinwheels! These are such fun!!!

Bev Code said...

super cute pinwheels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...