Saturday, May 9, 2015

Summer's abuzz with this garden cone


Lately, I've been having lots of fun making ornamental cones that I can use to add seasonal decorations to my home.


It's Betsy Skagen of Paper Calliope here. While it is not yet officially summer, it is definitely garden season.

To make the cone I cut a large arc across a piece of Saffron Honey Cardstock. Then I rolled it into a cone shape and glued it together.


Next, I punched a hole on each side, near the top, and tied a coordinating ribbon to it to make a handle.

Items that fall into the "Weird" category of my studio hoarding stash are lots of old upholstery sample books that my dad passed onto me when he retired from architecture. (Don't even ask me about my collection of rusty springs.)


First I stuffed tissue paper into the bottom of the cone, then I took one one the upholstery samples and cut it into strips. I glued these strips to the tissue to make a nest of sorts inside the cone.


Next I adhered a piece of Honeycomb Fleur Cardstock to the back of the Hello Sunshine card. I then distressed the edges of the card with Tattered Rose Distress Ink.





I then glued the Saffron Bee Die-Cut and the Hello Sunshine Card inside the cone. Next I added a sweet little bird and some glittery flowers.

For the outside of the card, I took the tiny bee included in the fun little Saffron Bee Die-Cuts kit and painted it with a distressed yellow dabber. I used the same paint on the skeleton key. When the key was nearly dry (I would rather avoid describing it as a tacky stage because I know that search engine would immediately tag my project as tacky-heh heh, I rubbed it with a paper towel to give the key a more distressed look.

When both the bee and key were dry, I adhered them to another Saffron Card and then glued the entire assemblage to the front of the cone.

I must admit, I'm pretty happy with how this project came out. I might even give it to someone special for this Mother's Day.

Great stuff I used

Saffron Honey Cardstock
Honeycomb Fleur Cardstock
Saffron Bee Die-Cuts
Saffron Cards
Beacon Zip Dry Adhesive
Upholstery sample
Yellow Paint
Tattered Rose Distress Ink
Skeleton key
Bird
Ribbon
Flowers
Hot Glue Gun

8 comments:

Penny Lee said...

Beautiful....

Tonya said...

Gorgeous cone Betsy!

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

So so so pretty Betsy!! It is awesome!

Terri Sproul said...

this is so pretty

Angela Hoynes said...

This is a great idea.

Maxx and Boo said...

How beautiful! I love the tag and elements used. I may have to try this tomorrow!

LisaM said...

Such a pretty decor piece!

Robin O'Crowley said...

Adorable. I want

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...