Saturday, May 23, 2015

Brie by the Sea




Just like for Robin O'Crowley, a good box is just too hard to throw away. Unfortunately for me, Betsy Skagen, that means I have several tubs full of cute little boxes just waiting to get altered into something creative.

Take for example, this brie box that has been sitting around my house since Christmas 2005, when I made a stunning brie appetizer for Christmas Eve. I can say stunning without sounding like a snob, because that was back in the day when I still created meals that rivaled Martha Stewart. Nowadays, the family is lucky to get a frozen lasagna for dinner. Sorry family.

If you look close you can see the expiration date Of course the appetizer I made was unforgettably wonderful as well.


The Beach Shape Set from Gina's Designs further inspired me.



And so there I was making a nautical decoration.


First I traced around the bottom of the brie box onto Blue Fleur Cardstock. I cut it out and adhered it to the inside bottom of the brie container.

Then, I divided the box into six sections and using a ruler painted white lines to mark the sections. After the paint dried, I made two additional lines over the white paint with a black pen. I purposefully made the black lines off-kilter from the white lines.


Then I adhered pieces of the Beach Shape Set to assorted yellow-toned Robin's Nest papers using Beacon Zip Dry Glue.  I then cut out each piece using an X-Acto blade. It's important to use a new blade for this step because some of the cuts are very small and defined.



I inked all the edges of the Die Cuts with Vintage Photo Distress Ink and a blending tool. Then, I glued the pieces into each section.

Finally, I adhered Blue Skies Archival Seeds in a scattered pattern around the die cuts.



That's it. Now it's time to hit the beach! If you are in the U.S., have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Great Stuff I used

Beacon Zip Dry Glue
Hot glue gun
Vintage Photo Distress Ink
White acrylic paint
Ribbon
Rope
Brie box
X-Acto knife 

8 comments:

Lastochka said...

Love your creation so much!!! Great idea!

Colleen said...

Very pretty.

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Beautiful!! I love it!

Peggie Sue @ Maxx and Boo said...

Absolutely wonderful use of up cycling!! Love it!

Angeldreamcrafts said...

love this project, and I love what you did with the chipboard! TFS, Kim :)

Tonya said...

Hehe! I feel your "pain" as far as the collectIon of stuff I have put back with the intent of it one day being altered. Love your project and great job!

Jess M said...

All crafters have boxes of boxes don't they? This came out great. A perfect reason to save a box for 10 years.

LisaM said...

Yay for recycling! Love your nautical project!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...