Saturday, March 7, 2015

Altered Cigar Box

Hello, it's Ann here today sharing with you another one of my altered projects made beautiful with the gorgeous Robin's Nest Papers and Products.  As I continue to clean and organize in my studio I came across a stack, yes I said stack, of empty old cigar boxes.  Now these are perfect for storing in my already stuffed studio.  But, the boxes are pretty much worse for wear!  So I am sprucing them up one at a time.  Here is a picture of the after alterations:



Supplies:
Robin's Nest Papers:reverse of Wedding Cut Out Item #: cswedcutout; Rosy Chevron Cardstock
Rosy Ribbon 
Metallic Pink Dew Drops 
Black Herringbone Cardstock 
Brass Label Holder
Brass Mini Brads
Beacon  3-IN-1 Advanced Craft Glue
Household masking tape and pink duct tape

Here are some pictures of the before:

and


Not very pretty, right?

The first thing I did was reinforce the corners that had split open with masking tape.  I realized that the edges would show in my finished project so I covered each edge inside and outside with some pink duct tape.  This makes for an even stronger box now.


I measured the outside panels of the box and measured and cut the papers accordingly.  I repeated the process for the inside panels as there is a slight difference in the interior and exterior measurements.  Once I cut all the pieces of paper I proceeded to glue the papers to the box.  I used a bone folder to make sure each piece was well adhered to the box.


Before I glued the two pieces of paper that decorate the top of the box's lid and the inside of the lid I cut a piece of the ribbon.  I made a loop out of the ribbon and attached the cut ends of the looped ribbon in a sandwich between the paper layer and the lid.  For this I used both glue and masking tape.


Once all the papers were applied and glued I decorated the box with a brass colour label holder and two mini brass coloured brads.  On the inside of the box I glued a small piece of coordinating paper as a patch over the prongs of the brads.




I used the metallic Dew Drops to decorate the corners.  Finally I glued on a fringed paper flower I made from a scrap of another Robin's Nest paper in a previous project.



You may be wondering what I intend to use this particular box for?  Well, I think I will use it to store those little odds and ends I collect to use in my altered projects.

On March 31st the Robin's Nest Design Team will be doing a Blog Hop whereby each of the Designer's will be sharing their talents on their individual blog, and some prizes!!!  So come back to visit us.

Thank you for stopping by today and please stop by my blog and see what other crafting I am into these days.


7 comments:

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Very cute cigar box! I love your instructions too :)

Terri Sproul said...

i love cigar boxes...

Tonya said...

I have a ton of cigar boxes waiting to be altered. Thanks for the inspiration and great job! <3

LisaM said...

Love it!

Robin O'Crowley said...

I love the combination of papers, and we can all use another box! Great job.

Bev Code said...

super altered item...great combo

frezja said...

great box :) hugs xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...