Friday, January 9, 2015

Mixed Media Hanging Tags

Hi!

My name is Shari and I am excited to share my first project with you as a designer for The Robin's Nest. I am a mixed media artist, and in my world of art anything and everything goes!

Our January monthly quote for creative inspiration is from Helen Keller. "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt from the heart."

Here is what my imagination came up with. I hope you enjoy it.


In this tag project I am using paper from the Robin's Nest Special Delivery Collection/airplane cardstock and Metallic Red Dew Drops to create a set of grungy looking tags.


 I started out with a scalloped edge chip board album. Instead of using this the conventional way I decided to take it apart and use it as individual tags. I painted gesso on one side and then painted it a solid color of metallic dark patina  from DecoArt.


Next I used the chipboard as a template, cut out and glued the cardstock on the chipboard side that was not painted, used color box cat eye ink pad in black to shade the edges, cut off the original chipboard holes and punched new ones.


I continued to give more definition to the edges using Tim Holtz distress paint (fired brick). I used Tim Holtz picket fence distress paint to give the center a white wash look.

The chipboard wings, crown, and star are from Tim Holtz grunge board elements. I painted them using a combination of DecoArt fluid acrylics(translucent red iron oxide and translucent white) and antiquing cream (English red oxide, carbon black, patina green). I popped on a few dots of Decoart sizzling red glamour dust. This technique is a trial and error process. Start with a little and continue to add till it feels just right.




To attach the wings to the key I used 20 gauge black wire. I used this wire to create the hangers and to attach the small embellishments on the star tag. I used foam dots to raise some of the surface elements to add more interest.The tiny words are Tim Holtz chit chat stickers. Lastly I added The Robin's Nest shiny metallic red dew drop to the top of the key.

Can't wait to show you another mixed media project later this month!

Shari

I have been creating art for as long as I can remember. I studied graphic design in Portland,Oregon before moving to Denton, Texas and putting all my focus on mixed media art. In addition to being on The Robin's Nest Design Team, I am an article writer for mixed media art, on the Creative Paperclay Design team, and a blogger for DecoArt. I strongly believe in giving back. I volunteer at Scrap Denton Creative Reuse Center where I teach workshops, art camps, and perform art demos. I am very passionate about mixed media art and helping others discover their creativity.


9 comments:

Betsy Skagen said...

These are absolutely, positively splendiferous! :D

Tonya said...

Love the vintage and steampunk feel of your tags! Great job!

Terri Sproul said...

I like this idea

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Cute! Cute! I love your instructions too! Great job Shari!

LisaM said...

Fabulous tags!

Lastochka said...

Wonderful creations!

Elena Lishchenko said...

Beautifull!

Robin O'Crowley said...

So fun

frezja said...

great :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...