Friday, January 23, 2015

Brick Never Looked So Cute


 

Hi!

I get so excited every time I look at all the fantastic papers from The Robin's Nest®. It is so hard deciding what to use!

Today I am going to be featuring a project using The Robin's Nest® red brick cardstock.

I wanted to make some cute little pieces of art to hang on a chicken wire frame I recently made to showcase the upcoming holidays.


Let's get started!

I began by cutting my 12x12 red brick cardstock into eight 2.5" x 3.5" pieces. This is the same size that is used for ATC's (altered trading cards).

Next I took 4 pieces to use as back panels. On these 4 I added glue and streamers to create a ruffle for the finished piece.

cut streamer in half and apply a section of paper glue
lay the streamer on the paper glue


push gently with your finger to make the ruffle





I set aside the backs to dry while I created the art for the front pieces. When ready I glued them to the backs of the finished front pieces.





On this piece I did some shading on the edges using distress ink and distress paint, tore some pieces of black corrugated cardboard for the corners, added a word art sticker, accentuated areas using a red marker, and a heart ephemera as the center focus.















For the second one, I used the corrugated  black cardboard 
behind a heart I cut out of cardstock called Brick Fat Plaid.
I cut this heart on an angle. I added checkered washi tape to
the corners, word art sticker, accentuated areas using a red marker, shaded the edges using distress ink, and finished with red dew drops  on each corner.














On the third one I shaded the edges, stenciled the flowing little hearts on the background with distress ink, I cut out a chalky heart then I added chunky glitter to the center. I made my own washi tape that also had chunky glitter, added a word art sticker, accentuated areas using a red marker, and used a white streamer for the ruffle.















 


 The last one I used the white streamer for the ruffle, shaded the edges using distress ink, added ribbon, a bow, and metalic silver dew drops down the left side, accentuated areas using a red marker, and word art sticker. I took a section of  zebra print and cut out the three hearts. I attached each heart using foam stickers.
 I looking forward to next time so I can show you some more ideas using The Robin's Nest® products.

Happy creating!
Shari 


I have been creating art for as long as I can remember. I studied graphic design in Portland,Oregon before moving to Denton, Texas and putting all my focus on mixed media art. In addition to being on The Robin's Nest Design Team, I am an article writer for mixed media art, on the Creative Paperclay Design team, and a blogger for DecoArt. I strongly believe in giving back. I volunteer at Scrap Denton Creative Reuse Center where I teach workshops, art camps, and perform art demos. I am very passionate about mixed media art and helping others discover their creativity. 
 Follow My Altered Life's blog page
 My Altered Life's Pinterest addiction

10 comments:

Tonya said...

Love how you can change out the chicken wire frame each holiday to feature what you create. Great tutorial!

Lee Brehon said...

These are so pretty. The paper is cool. Well done.

Ann Strecko Koeman said...

Great idea. Well done tutorial too.

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Great job Sheri! I love the chicken wire idea! Sweet tutorial too! Love!!

Terri Sproul said...

this is so sweet. love the idea

LisaM said...

Love this idea, so cute!

Robin O'Crowley said...

Such character! Love how you change your frame and your right, brick never looked so cute!

Betsy Skagen said...

Adorable!

frezja said...

ooo, adorable! I love this :))

Barbara Rankin said...

Fabulous, and a great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...