Sunday, December 2, 2012

Altered Christmas Gift Card Tin

Hello everyone.  Welcome back to the Chattering Robins blog and my new design team project for The Robin's Nest.  Today, I have a fairly easy project for you, in light of the busy holiday season and the "need for speed".     We all know someone whom we just do not have the slightest idea what to give them, so what better way to present a gift card than to give them a beautifully hand-decorated tin made by you, especially for them, using the beautiful papers and embellishments from The Robin's Nest.

Supplies used:

Family-Glitter Getaway cardstock double sided
Getaway Glitter Leaves on linen cardstock
Coffee Glitter Swirl on Creme cardstock
Brown Glitter Cardstock
Red Glitter on Red Cardstock
Cherry Chocolate Dew Drops
Fall Ribbon





ON THE COVER:

I first removed the lid from the bottom, then cut pieces of Coffee Glitter Swirl on Creme cardstock to size (2-1/4" x 3-3/8") to cover the top and bottom of the tin,  rounded the corners, and colored with red and brown distress inks.  I cut a 1/2" wide long strip of  Coffee Glitter Swirl on Creme cardstock, colored with brown distress ink, and adhered around the bottom of the tin.


I punched small trees from scraps of Family-Glitter Getaway cardstock double sided and painted with a gold glimmer glaze.  I punched the holly leaves from scraps of green card stock and also painted with a gold glimmer glaze, then dry embossed veins into the leaves to help sculpt them.  The tiny reindeer was punched with Brown Glitter Cardstock.  I used Cherry Chocolate Dew Drops for the holly berries.


INSIDE THE TIN:

I covered the inside using the Red Glitter on Red Cardstock.  NOTE:  You can spread a thin line of matching color acrylic paint around the circumference of the tin top and bottom before adhering your cardstock.  This will disguise any paper layer not cut to exact measurements.  See photo below.

Thin line of red acrylic paint around inside edge
To make the stand-up for the gift card, simply cut a piece of Getaway Glitter Leaves on linen cardstock to 3-3/8" x 5-1/2", then score at 5/8", 2-3/8", and 5".  You may need to round the corners to allow it to fit properly inside the tin.  See photo below.

Gift card insert
Place a piece of double sided adhesive at the 5" score line area and attach.  You will have an angled piece to showcase your gift card.  See photo below.

Reverse side of gift card insert showing where to place adhesive
Finished gift card insert
I punched small branches from Brown Glitter Cardstock and mini ornaments from Getaway Glitter Leaves on linen cardstock, added some red distress ink and glimmer glaze to each, and used the bottom of my foam brush to sculpt them.  See photo below.



I glued the branches to the inside of the lid, then attached the ornaments with foam dots for dimension, draping the Fall Ribbon through the ornaments.  I also used a gold pen to color the topper on each ornament.

Inside tin with gift card insert

Inside tin with gift card presentation
I hope you like my project for a pretty way to present your gift cards this Christmas, or change up the papers and embellishments to use for any time of year.  Thanks so much for stopping by, and please be sure to visit The Robin's Nest online store to see all of their new and wonderful products.  I would also encourage you to visit the blog often for more creative inspiration from the rest of the design team.  They always have something wonderful to share.  For more of my work, I would also love for you to visit my blog by clicking here.

Happy holly days!

Barbara

5 comments:

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Wow! This is super cool!! I have been looking for something to make my teens, this might be a part of their gift..... Wrapped in a huge box :) jk
Great job Barbara!

Wendy said...

What a cute idea! Need to make my husband save those Altoids tins! TFS

michelle hodges said...

Very pretty and creative!!
Love that you decorated the inside too!

Robin said...

I love this, how creative is that! Inside is so cute too.

Danie May said...

Such a fabulous way to present a gift card for Christmas Barbara and I love the beautiful transformation you gave the tin. The inside baubles are beautiful and I love the way you have decorated the top. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...