Wednesday, February 1, 2012

3D Ornament


I've had a long-time fascination with origami. I love the looks of all those intricate folds, but, truth be told, I'm just not patient enough to do all the folding required to create an origami piece. That's why I loved this project so much!! It has that intricate look of origami, but none of the folding!!

You'll need 12 of the flower shapes for each ball. Each of the shapes is identical and has a slit at the base of each "petal" for joining. You can vary the size of the ball by adjusting the size of the flower shape.



I used my Zing electronic cutting machine to cut these 12 shapes from Robin's Nest Glitter Teal Daisy cardstock.


Robin's Nest cardstock is the ideal paper for this project because it is sturdy enough to maintain its shape, but flexible enough to allow accurate positioning of the pieces.

Begin by piercing the center of one of the flower shapes to accommodate a thread, fine wire, or ribbon for hanging. I chose to use transparent fishing line. You can see that I secured the knotted line on the reverse side of the piece with hot glue.


Begin to assemble your 3D ball by interlocking the slits at the base of each petal. Be patient. Gentle flex the cardstock to avoid creasing and folding. I added the piece with my hanger last so I wouldn't have to contend with the hanger being in the way during the assembly process.


I'm tickled with the results. These could be used in so many ways: massed in a crystal bowl for a table centerpiece; filled with treats for a child's party; suspended at varying levels for a mobile; a grouping of different sized 3D balls for an interesting display.

There are several patterns available online. If you can't locate one, email me and I'll be glad to share the SVG file that I used.

Carole

18 comments:

Rachel said...

I made one of these before, but I made it much more difficult than this! Awesome tutorial!! I am going to attempt to make one of these again now! Thanks Carole!

Cheryl said...

Great tutorial, I have never been tempted to try origami, but I may try this!

Lisa Watson said...

What a wonderful tutorial!! Great origami ball.

GinniG said...

I think even "I" can do this with my brain that doesn't follow instructions like this well! hehe! Fun tutorial and OH the POSSIBILITIES!!! :)Oh and MSW sent me! :)

Karen AKA Soccerboyzmom said...

I made a couple of them for Christmas, wish I had seen your tutorial.
Great site.

Andrea said...

Very cute ornament! I will have to try and make one :)

Bev said...

i am now a follower, great tutorial and thanks for sponsoring at MSW sketchathon...

Angele said...

How beautiful. I'm a new Follower, sent here by My Sketch World.

The Gov. said...

Love the tutorial and the project is awesome . . . might have to give this a try.

Martine said...

beautiful ornament! tfs!

suzann said...

WoW, this is gorgeous! It's just brilliant how you made it look so easy! Great tutorial!

Ann said...

I made one with recycled Christmas cards many years ago and it was much more difficult and laborious than this looks. Thanks for the tutorial.
I've been following you for ages but thought I'd tell you so since Lucy at My Sketch World is sending folks over.

Nicole said...

What a FUN project! Thanks so much for sponsoring the sketchathon at My Sketch World!!

Kristin said...

Lucy at My Sketch World sent me over! I am glad she did - what a neat project!

LisaM said...

Great ornament!
Lucy from MSW sent me here, I am now a follower.

Shelley said...

Wow!I may have to try this!

Stacey said...

Very pretty! These would be nice in a glass bowl for Christmas. Gives me plenty of time to get started!

Celeste B. said...

Very pretty. I like the sparkly paper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...