Friday, August 26, 2011

How to Get The Perfect Dew Drop Swirl!




Ever since I recieved The Robin's Nest Dew Drops, I have been wanting to use them to make a swirl on my page using my SCAL2 rhinestone tool. Most digital cutter software programs have a tool that can convert any shape into a rhinestone or Dew Drop template. You can find this tool in programs such as SCAL2, SCAL3, Make the Cut, Pazzles software and more. The Cricut DS software and Gypsy do not have such a tool, but you can find a tutorial on my blog here to try if you have one of these. And don't despair if you have no digital cutter at all, I will share how to get the perfect swirl without one at the end of the post!






Once the Rhinestone dialog box appears, choose the shape of the rhinestone as round, and set the size just a bit smaller than the Robin's Nest Dew Drop you will be using. As the dew drops are clear, the circle may show up in the center, so I make my circle fall just inside the edge of the dew drop. You may find that you will have to manually move a few circles before you proceed to get the perfect swirl.



I removed my blade housing and replaced it with a pen holder and a red pen. Use a pen with the same color as the dew drops you will be using and the circle won't show up. I then hit the cut, and the Cricut then draws with the pen instead of cutting (see photo below).


I like to pick up my Dew Dew Glue using a tool such as the Quickutz , or Creative Memories tool, but you can use an awl. Be sure NOT to use your fingers to get the Dew Dew Glue off of the sheet, as they will lose their stickiness!



I used The Robin's Nest Glittered Chipboard in Rebellious Red to cut the swirl with my Cricut and the Cindy Loo Cartridge. Be sure to use the deep cut blade and housing and a multi cut of 2! The Robin's Nest Glittered Chipboard, cuts so clean even in digital cutters!












Anna Griffin Peyton Collection Chipboard letters


Black Cardstock


Cricut Cindy Loo Cartridge


Bazzill Flowers


SCAL2 or other software




Now for those of you with no digital cutter, follow the steps below. Use a chipboard or paper swirls as a template and place it on the page where you wish it to lay. Trace around it lightly using a colored pencil the same color as the dew drops you will be using. Using a flexible tape measure, determine the spacing you want for your dew drops and mark them off at regular intervals. For example, every 1/4". Try starting your dew drop placement at the tips of the swirl and work backwards towards the base for a more natural look. Then erase the lines between your marks and glue your dew drops.













6 comments:

Dora said...

Hi that is lovely, thank you for sharing the tutorial. xx

Jan said...

Great tutorial and the swirls came out perfectly :)

Robin said...

Wow, I want to learn more about this, great use of software to enhance the use of dew drops!!!!!

Irit Shalom said...

Fantastic tutorial!

Rachel said...

This is a wonderful tutorial! Excellent job!

beadz said...

Great tutorial!Thanks for sharing.
hugs,
Gini

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...